Thursday, August 1, 2013

Don't give up, give out, or give in!

Ever felt like giving up? If we are truthful with ourselves, I think we can all agree that at some point in our lives we've felt like giving up on something. Whether it was a marriage, relationship, or job, we've all been tempted to give up and throw in  the towel. I don't know about you, but that's a constant temptation for me, particularly when things get tough. I remember when I was in college pursuing my graduate degree, I thought about giving up because it seemed a little more difficult than what I originally thought it was going to be.

This reminds me of the Christian life. When things get tough, every one of us has come to the point of giving up in our Christian walk, and even the strongest of Christians have also be tempted to give up at times. There are many that have been, or is at the breaking point at giving up trying to live the Christian life because they feel they can't go on anymore, or just can't make it when the trials and temptations of life challenge them constantly in their walk. But look at what Jesus told his disciples in Luke 18:1, "Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up."
 
Biblical Example

In the First Book of Kings, Chapter 19, we find that Elijah, a prophet of God wanted to give up. In 1 Kings 19:3-5, we read 3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.”
It is here we see that the prophet Elijah asked God to let him die (1 Kings 19:4). Maybe deep down, Elijah did not want to die, but in essence, Elijah did want to quit and give up! Elijah possibly felt like a failure since the dramatic events of Mt. Carmel did nothing to turn the king or the kingdom from idolatry. Elijah was discouraged by the thought that everything that had happened was in vain and fruitless and that nothing more could possibly be done by him for God's cause. Sadly, every one of us at one time or another ends up like Elijah. We become tired, discouraged, and frustrated...and like Elijah, we want to give up. As Christians, we want to give up when we sin, give into it, or when we find ourselves continually falling short of perfection. Then there are some people who grow tired of doing the right thing, and just give up.

But look at what Romans 7:15-20 tells us, 15 I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. 16 But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. 18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. 19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20 But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. 


We see here that the Christian life is not always easy! And I myself have found that living the Christian lifestyle is a daily challenge...and If I can be honest, there have been times in my life when I've wanted to give up. When I think of Jesus command, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" Matthew 5:48, I myself have wanted to give up simply because I've found myself falling short of perfection. But let me say this, giving up is the easy way out. No matter how hard the challenges are, we must press towards the goal. In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul says...12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Note: The process of perfection includes challenges to overcome.
 
Conclusion

Sometimes the Christian life is all about tenacity. Also keep in mind that while we may start out well in our Christian walk, what really counts is how well we finish. The lesson from the prophet Elijah can be helpful to all of us, and that is, DO NOT GIVE UP, GIVE OUT, OR GIVE IN because God is not finished with you yet! Galatians 6:9 tells us, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Remember, if the enemy can't get you to give in, he will try to get you to give up."
 
The next time you feel like giving up, I encourage you to remember Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". As I minister to you, I also minister to myself. As I try to encourage you, I also encourage myself, and as I challenge you, I also challenge myself so that together we don't give up on striving daily to live our lives according to the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment