Friday, April 10, 2015

Ye Must Be Born Again! (John 3:1-7)

Most of us like to celebrate birthdays. Birthdays are important days although we don't like to be reminded of our age, some people celebrate two birthdays a year. That's the day they were born, and the day they were born again. On August 11, 1982 I was born to the proud parents of Albert and Vanessa Bender. I am thankful that God for that day. However, there's an even more significant date that I remember each year, the day that I was born again, on April 10, 2011. To the unsaved, being born again makes no sense, but that's because many people don't have a complete explanation of what it means to be “born-again.”

To understand what it means to be born-again, it is necessary to understand that there are two births. The first birth is the physical birth when you're born into this world from your parents. The second birth is a spiritual birth, which means to be born of the “Spirit”.

In Chapter 3 of John's Gospel, Jesus said “except a man be born again, he cannot SEE the Kingdom of heaven.” In verse 5, Jesus repeated his statement when he told Nicodemus, “You must be born again”. Initially Nicodemus thought that Jesus was talking about a second physical birth (John 3:4). Nicodemus, like most of us was trying to understand how a person go back into our mother's womb and start life all over again, or how can an adult can go back and be born all over again as a baby. But Jesus went out to make it plain that he was speaking of a second birth that was spiritual (John 3:5-13).  
 
What is it to be Born Again?
Being born again is explained by Jesus in that being born again is a new birth. He also called it being saved. Jesus also explained the second birth by saying that the natural birth brings us into the world as a natural person. However, when a person Believe (Hebrews 11:6), Confess Christ (Romans 10:10), Repent of Sin (Acts 2:38), Be Baptized for Remission of Sin (Mark 16:16)  in the name of Jesus --- the Holy Spirit enters that person, and he experiences a spiritual birth. This spiritual birth changes the person on the inside so that it is just like starting a whole new life. Paul said that this spiritual birth makes us become a new person. Ezekiel 36:25-27 prophesied of this spiritual rebirth by saying: A "new heart" and "new spirit" is the promise of spiritual regeneration. "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances".
 
CONCLUSION
The greatest gift that I ever got was when I received the gift of salvation years ago on April 10, 2011. That’s when I was born for the second time! Today I celebrate my second birth, the day I believed, confessed Christ, repented of my sins, baptized in the name of JESUS and received the Holy Spirit. If you want to know more about what I am talking about I would be happy to share with you how you can know for sure that you are a child of God. Remember, every one of us has a birthday because we all have experienced a physical birth. But there’s another birth we all can experience! Jesus talked about the need for each of us to have a “spiritual” birth. He said “You must be born again” (John 3:1-7). Jesus said this new birth is necessary in order to enter heaven. Have you been born again, my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment